Friday, May 18, 2012

Yesterday was long, full day. Beginning at 7:00 am, Jon and I worked to consolidate the list of youth who have expressed interest in joining KCIYA. One of my roles this summer, along with the other three interns, is to engage the youth and recruit new people through building relationships. It is difficult, however, to think of ways that we can shape interest in the youth and keep it. I heard a speaker at New York University who does research on people from Generations Y and Z (which includes adults in their mid-20s to young children). Something he said that I remember very well is that my generation has shown a tendency to excel in our tasks, but rarely go beyond that which is asked of us. We join many clubs, organizations, and activities, giving 100% to each one. However, we don't stay with any one thing for a long period of time. Our parent's and grandparent's generation is known to choose one (maybe two) cause and stick with it the rest of their lives. We don't. We move on, working on a new cause. Though these are broad generalizations, it worries me to think that it may be difficult to engage the youth for long periods of time. How do I convince people that interfaith dialogue is something that they should practice for the rest of their lives? How do I convince students to help the KCIYA and its efforts to promote pluralism?
While mulling over these questions, I often come back to the same conclusion. As long as we are able to talk to students about interfaith, it will be in their minds. Whether or not they come to our events and meetings, their knowledge still helps spread awareness. We will always find youth who are eager to join groups that promote community service, meet at an ice cream store, and get to talk about difficult topics like faith and coexistence. So, putting my previous pessimism aside, I am excited to talk to people about what we are doing and trying to accomplish. I just have to remember that generalizations, of any kind, can be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment